Peyronie's disease – pathology, characteristic only for the male half of humanity.
The disease is characterized by the occurrence of pain during erection, which occurs on the background of fibrosis in the tunica albuginea. The disease is rare and is more common of males, in the age of from forty to sixty years.
In some cases, this disorder can negatively affect conception, but it is present only in those cases where the penis is curved to such an extent that it can not enter the female genital organs. It is therefore necessary to seek the help of professionals if you experience the first symptoms (the presence of a small seal, which is easy to detect to the touch, pain during intercourse, strain every erection).
The basis of treatment is surgery. Among specialists, there is a lot of debate about the efficacy of therapies folk remedies at home.
What is it?
Peyronie's disease — a disease in which the penis is curved due to progressive fibrotic changes in the protein shell of the penis. The disease is named after French surgeon Francois Peyronie, who described it in 1743. Most often it affects men in the age from 30 to 60-65 years.
The reasons for the development
To date, not fully understood causes that lead to disease, however, there are etiological factors contributing to pathology:
- injuries of the penis;
- disorders in the endocrine system;
- closed fracture of the penis;
- hardening of the tissues of the penis;
- inflammation of the connective tissue – the connective tissue;
- some abnormality with the immune system;
- the inflammatory process in the urethra;
- taking certain medicines;
- the metabolic disorders;
- the narrowing of blood vessels, characteristic of atherosclerosis;
- elevated levels of serotonin in the body;
- connective tissue disease;
- the lack of calcium and vitamin E;
- arterial hypertension;
- bad habits;
- coronary heart disease.
In extremely rare cases, the disease may be congenital. For example, in the pathology of the structure of the tunica albuginea or with an abnormally short urethra. Unlike congenital from acquired – in the first case, the missing plaque. Deformation develops on the background of the strands in the cavernous bodies.
Minor deformations are not serious disease and do not require surgical intervention.
By etiology we distinguish the following forms of the disease:
- The acquired form is characterized by a gradual loss of elasticity and widening of the connective tissue of the penis, leading to distortion of the shape and occurrence of pain;
- The congenital form is often caused by genetic factor and finds its manifestations in the compaction cavernous bodies of the penis.
In addition, there are three categories of Peyronie's disease, depending on the degree of curvature of the penis and size of the fibrous education:
- Category 1 – penis curvature up to 30 degrees, the size of the fibrous plaques up to 2 cm;
- Category 2 – the angle of curvature of from 30 to 60 degrees, the size of the fibrous plaques from 2 to 4 cm;
- Category 3 – the emergence of strong tilt angle from 60 degrees, the size of the fibrous plaques from the 4 see
The symptoms of Peyronie's disease:
- Erectile dysfunction deterioration of erection (the penis is not increased to the required size and doesn't harden).
- Curvature of the penis. This characteristic visible.
- Pain. At the time of erection the patient is experiencing pain that in the end makes sexual intercourse very painful.
- Functional decrease in the male penis. It is the result of the curvature of the body.
- Curvature of the penis (towards the abdomen, or scrotum, or sideways).
- Sometimes the place where a plaque can be stretched skin.
- Hypersensitivity of the penis that is observed even during relaxed state.
- The presence of plaques with a kind of seal under the skin of the penis and sometimes reaching large size up to 3 cm, which adversely affects the local circulation.
- The irregular shape of the penis. In some cases, when multiple plaques, the sexual organ takes an irregular shape in the form of a bottle, an hourglass, etc.
Despite the fact that Peyronie's disease has not complicated the healing, the consequences affect both psychological sphere and the General health of the patient:
- broken an erection on the background of pain, as well as a number of the psychological causes (emotional stress, sexual frustration, problems in intimate relationships);
- shortening of the penis;
- psychological disorders.
With timely treatment, these negative effects tend to be temporary and superficial. Of great importance for overcoming the negative consequences and successful rehabilitation has the moral support of a partner.
Fibro-plastic endurace of the penis (Peyronie disease) is determined by experts rather quickly and easily. Plaque does not leave room for doubt, and, in principle, determine the form of the disease, and the ability to conduct therapy or surgery. Some physicians are asked to bring a photo erect penis to determine how degree it is curved when excited. List, what other methods are used in the diagnosis of:
- Ultrasound vessels of the penis to evaluate the blood circulation in the area of the developed seal. So revealed the acute form of the disease;
- MRI diagnostics – the tissues of the body. A more accurate way to assess blood flow;
- Cavernosography is an x-ray after filling of the cavernous bodies of radiopaque fluid;
- Biopsy – a microscopic piece of tissue for subsequent laboratory tests;
- Doppler – like ultrasound, to assess the status of blood vessels in the penis.
The appointment for examination can give the urologist, after pre-collected anamnesis and palpation of the penis.
An algorithm for the treatment of patients with Peyronie's disease, which is at an early stage of development:
- The reduction of pain.
- The removal of inflammation.
- Resorption of plaque.
- Stop the progression of the disease.
Treatment must last at least six months.
Experts do not recommend introducing any drugs directly into the plaque. The fact that even minor damage to the integrity of the penis can enhance fibrosis. Sometimes, however, without injections do not succeed.
For this purpose, use such drugs as:
- Steroid. They are used only in the case if a person is sick is not more than 1.5 years and the plaque had not formed completely. Hormones are rarely used, since they allow to achieve the desired effect.
- Enzymes (collagenase). This tool allows you to soften the scar tissue as it breaks peptide bonds of collagen. The drug is injected into the plaque perpendicular to the penis. In 65% of cases it is possible to reduce the curvature. The treatment lasts 6 weeks. Injection put 2 times a 7 days. The procedure should be a professional, as an overdose of the enzyme, dangerous hemorrhage and the appearance of new sites of fibrosis.
In addition to using drugs, a man may be recommended physiotherapy impact on the patient's body:
- The use of dia-dynamic currents.
- The laser treatment.
- Mud treatment.
- UHT. This involves using a special device that is the source of the pulses. Doctor sends them directly to the site of fibrosis. This allows you to soften the plaque and straighten the penis. To be able to implement SWT, the curvature should not be more than 45 degrees.
It is important to remember that to use any drug is prohibited! It may cause the development of serious complications and health problems.
Surgical treatment is more effective, as it allows to simultaneously correct distortion and remove sealed components. The method of surgical intervention is determined in each case of Peyronie's Disease individually. So, if curvature of the penis at least 45 degrees, and its length is sufficient, plication, when the correction of the defect is due to the overlapping folds on the opposite side, is the most preferable. Tissue is sutured of the special suture material, the penis loses some length, however, the likelihood of complications is minimal.
With sufficient penis length and curvature more than 45 degrees, the shell is cut in the form of ellipses, and the curvature on the opposite side produce the closure of the special suture material. In case of insufficient length of the penis or failure of the patient from the above mentioned methods resorted to incision of the plaque with subsequent use of plastics. The defect of the tunica eliminate through vaginal sheath of the testis, skin graft or synthetic materials.
If Peyronie's Disease occurs with dysfunction erection, then the optimal solution is lingham prosthetics or lingham implantation. This allows to eliminate problems with erection and correct penile curvature.
- Horse chestnut. In order to prepare a decoction, you need 20 grams of chestnuts (fruit). First grind them and then add a Cup of boiling water and then put on fire. Boil for a quarter of an hour. When cool, pass through a sieve or cheesecloth and take a quarter Cup before eating. The treatment takes three months.
- An herbal infusion. Mix equal parts (100 g), primrose, sage, initial letter, oregano, toadflax and burdock root. Send the collection in a thermos (2 large spoons) and add a Cup of boiling water. Leave to infuse overnight. In the morning strain and take half a Cup four times a day before meals (at least half an hour). It is important to cook every day new infusions that they were fresh.
- Ointments of leeches. Measure out a quarter Cup of dried leeches and grind them into powder. Mix with a heparin ointment (15 g) and demixed (2 large tablespoons) and a glass of white honey. Then each day (for once) and RUB it on the penis. Start treatment when the moon drops.
- Medicinal baths. Three packs of sage pour in a bucket of boiling water, cover and leave for half an hour, then strain. Meanwhile, the dial to the bathroom water and pour back the strained infusion. But don't get carried away, such procedures can be carried out not more often than once in two days and only for 15 minutes. As soon as you finished the procedure lay down in bed. A greater effect occurs if a bath be used together with the techniques of decoction.
Because the disease develops slowly, there is a misconception that when the first signs it is best to use the medicine, to avoid medical intervention. But it is important to remember that only the performance of the operation is the only sure method of treatment of Peyronie's disease in men.
Measures of prevention of Peyronie's disease:
- don't have sex in a condition of narcotic or alcoholic intoxication, to exclude injuries of the penis;
- at the age of 30 to 60 every year to pass preventive examinations;
- lead a healthy lifestyle;
- control your weight;
- follow the pressure level;
- wear comfortable underwear;
- exercise regularly.
In case of any disorders of the reproductive system it is necessary to consult a urologist to make a diagnosis and begin treatment.