One of the most common diseases in men is chronic prostatitis. This diagnosis means inflammation of the prostate gland, which has a long-lasting character. In most cases, the pathology is characterized by the absence of pronounced painful symptoms. Signs of prostatitis appear only in the moments of its exacerbation. To identify the disease, it is necessary to undergo a full examination at the clinic. After that, the doctor offers an individualized course of treatment that helps maintain the disease in remission.
Causes and risk factors
Prolonged depressive states are one of the factors in the onset of the disease.
What is chronic prostatitis? Many men who are not lucky enough to face this diagnosis know firsthand. Various factors lead to its development, which negatively affect the work of the prostate gland and other internal organs
Chronic prostatitis is caused by the following causes:
- Sexually transmitted infections. We are talking about the herpes virus, fungal diseases, gonococci, Trichomonas and other similar pathologies that disrupt the functioning of the genitourinary system.
- Leading a sedentary lifestyle.
- Prolonged sexual abstinence and frequent coitus interruptus.
- Frequent hypothermia.
- Slow blood circulation in the pelvic organs.
- Long-term experience of stressful situations and depression.
- Weakened immunity.
The more negative factors affect a man's body, the higher his chances of knowing from personal experience how unpleasant chronic prostatitis is. Also, in the course of its development, negative consequences may appear, which will lead to an even greater deterioration in the patient's health.
It is in every man's best interest to avoid being at risk. This requires prophylaxis of prostatitis and timely treatment of inflammatory and other pathologies.
Doctors claim that we can cure any of the existing types of chronic prostate inflammation. There is a whole classification of this disease. Based on it, prostatitis happens:
- Chronic bacterial.It is accompanied by symptoms characteristic of such a disease as prostatitis. Pathology is determined by the increased content of pathogenic microorganisms in the urine and discharge from the prostate.
- Chronic abacterial (CABP).This type of prostatitis is a consequence of advanced bacterial inflammation in the prostate. A man with this diagnosis may be bothered by pain during urination or ejaculation and all sorts of discomfort.
- Chronic congestive.It is also called congestive prostatitis. Slow circulation of biological fluids in the pelvic area leads to the development of pathology.
- Asymptomatic inflammatory.Symptoms of this type of chronic prostatitis in men are completely absent. The person is sick and does not even know about it. As a rule, this pathology is discovered quite by accident during routine diagnostics.
Chronic abacterial type of the disease is most often found in men. Prostatitis of another type is significantly inferior to him in percentage terms.
Pathology is accompanied by increased sweating and chills.
Chronic bacterial and non-bacterial prostatitis has symptoms that do not allow a person to immediately understand what is wrong with him.
The first thing the nervous system starts to suffer. Because of this, the patient becomes more irritable and apathetic. He complains of constant fatigue and poor sleep.
It is necessary to pay attention to even minor changes in well-being for the worse, as they may indicate the development of a disease such as chronic bacterial or non-infectious prostatitis.
Periodic chronic prostatitis, which requires immediate treatment, may be accompanied by the following painful symptoms:
- mild pain that can radiate to the groin, perineum and anus;
- frequent urge to go to the toilet, even if the man drinks a small amount of liquid;
- discomfort in the head of the penis and scrotum;
- painful urination at the very beginning and at the end of the physiological process;
- sweating and trembling;
- a small amount of discharge from the penis.
The greatest influence of chronic bacterial, as well as non-infectious prostatitis has on sexual function. Due to the progression of the pathological process, a man's erection worsens, premature or delayed ejaculation occurs, and severe discomfort appears during intimacy.
It is difficult for a patient to independently understand what exactly prostatitis in men leads to the appearance of this symptomatology. To make sure of this, you first need to contact a competent specialist and undergo a full examination in his direction.
Chronic prostatitis often leads to severe complications that quickly make themselves felt. Because of this, men are increasingly asking questions about whether the disease can be completely cured or not in order to prevent such a development of events.
Chronic prostatitis is characterized by an undulating course. While remission is in progress, the disease does not develop, which means that the patient is not threatened with negative consequences. You need to start worrying about this in the event of an exacerbation of the pathology.
If a person is not trying to find out how chronic prostatitis can be cured, then he should prepare for the appearance of serious complications. The inflammatory process in the prostate gland will certainly lead to infection of other organs of the genitourinary system. As a result, a person begins to suffer from cystitis or pyelonephritis. Inflammation of the testicles and their appendages is not excluded. In the absence of adequate therapy, these conditions lead to infertility.
PCR analysis will eliminate sexually transmitted infections.
To understand whether or not it is possible to cure the chronic type of prostatitis forever, it is necessary first of all to diagnose the patient. Its results allow the urologist to assess the patient's current condition and choose the most optimal course of therapy for him.
The initial examination of a patient suspected of having chronic bacterial or non-infectious prostatitis consists of a history of the disease and an external examination of a man's intimate organs. During the diagnosis, the doctor pays attention to the presence of painful rashes, discharge and other unhealthy manifestations. Also, the level of pain in the prostate gland is determined.
Diagnosis of chronic prostatitis consists of the following research activities:
- Ultrasound (TRUS).Ultrasound examination enables a specialist to evaluate pathological changes in terms of structural and functional data of the organ;
- Analysis of urine and secretions.Laboratory diagnostics detects the presence of pathogens in biological fluids that can cause prostatitis;
- PCR analysis.The research method is intended to identify pathogens of sexually transmitted diseases in a man's body;
- Spermogram.Diagnostics is designed to study the quality of semen;
- Urodynamic studies.They reveal the degree of urination disorder and its causes;
- PSA analysis.It is used to exclude the development of a cancer tumor or benign hyperplasia in a patient.
Differential diagnostics is mandatory. It makes it possible to distinguish chronic prostatitis from other pathological conditions that have similar symptoms and signs. But they need a completely different treatment.
In the process of differential diagnosis, it is possible to distinguish prostatitis from diseases such as bladder stricture, impaired detrusor-sphincter system, bladder dysfunction, regional pain syndrome, prostate adenoma, cystitis and rectal pathologies.
For each patient, a treatment regimen is selected individually, which allows you to get rid of chronic prostatitis.
Therapy for a chronic disease takes a long time. To achieve remission, the patient must take medications in a timely manner and undergo physiotherapy procedures prescribed by the urologist.
Men who are also interested in the pregnancy of their companion need to take the treatment of such a disease as chronic prostatitis with particular seriousness. Without adequate therapy, they may be deprived of the opportunity to have children of their own.
To cope with the symptoms that appear with prostatitis, it is necessary to undergo a course of medication. The doctor selects a whole range of drugs against the symptoms of malaise that appear. As a rule, a few days after the start of taking the medicine, the manifestations of pathology are significantly reduced. In the future, painful symptoms do not appear so often if the patient does not violate the therapy regimen.
Antibacterial drugs are often at the heart of the treatment offered to men with prostatitis.
Treatment of chronic bacterial prostatitis in men necessarily includes taking an antibiotic. Without it, it will not be possible to suppress the activity and further spread of the painful microflora. The attending physician is responsible for the selection of a potent drug. The choice of medication directly depends on the test results, which show the type of infectious agent.
Fluoroquinolones are prescribed for prostatitis. They effectively deal with entire colonies of pathogens. The drugs of this group are in demand in patients with a chronic course of the disease. They are not assigned only if the pathology was caused by tuberculosis pathogens.
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
These drugs are considered safer for humans than antibiotics. They help to cope with severe pain syndrome, reduce body temperature and solve the problem of general discomfort.
Despite the relative safety of medications that belong to the group of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, it is prohibited to take them without a doctor's permission. Otherwise, the patient will expect unpleasant consequences that complicate the course of chronic prostatitis.
These drugs are prescribed only by the attending physician.
Patients are encouraged to take alpha-blockers, as it is quite difficult to treat chronic prostatitis without them. Medicines of this group occupy an important place in the therapy regimen. With their help, patients manage to cope with the painful symptoms of pathology, which negatively affect the mental state of a person.
Taking alpha blockers often leads to side effects such as drowsiness and general weakness in the body. This is a normal reaction that the patient should be aware of.
A person will not be able to choose the right drug for himself that belongs to this drug group, therefore, it is strongly recommended to entrust this task to a competent specialist.
Antidepressants and vitamins
As additional medicines for prostatitis, which help to improve the patient's condition and prevent complications, vitamin complexes and antidepressants are used. Many men left positive reviews about them, as they helped them to cure inflammation of the prostate gland.
Many urologists practice prescribing vitamin injections with solutions of B5-B12 to men with this diagnosis. This treatment is allowed only if the patient has no contraindications to drugs. They are taken as an auxiliary therapy, which makes it possible to saturate the patient's body with missing useful substances. But a powerful effect should not be expected from them.
Effective treatment of chronic prostatitis involves the use of suppositories. They contain various components that are able to fight inflammatory processes in the prostate gland. They may contain antibiotics or non-hormonal components that alleviate the human condition.
Pharmacy suppository therapy must be combined with drugs, since it is drug treatment that gives the best result. Other drugs are used to complement the treatment of chronic prostatitis.
Not only pharmaceutical medicine helps fight chronic prostatitis. Both medicinal pills and folk remedies can reduce the severity of its painful symptoms.
Traditional medicine should be used by the patient not only in the treatment of prostatitis, but also during remission. Thanks to them, the likelihood of recurrence of the inflammatory process is minimized. They also increase the chances of a man that his spouse will be able to get pregnant from him.
Folk remedies can only be used in complex treatment. It is forbidden to use them in case of exacerbation of inflammation of the prostate gland, in the presence of tumors and infectious lesions of the body. Contraindications also include individual intolerance to the components present in the homemade medicine.
There are a huge number of proven recipes for alternative medicine, with the help of which it is possible to cope with the disease and prevent its recurrence. The best of these are the following:
- Pumpkin seeds.They are useful for all men, as they contain components that support the proper functioning of the male genitourinary system. This product is recommended not only for prostatitis, but also for impotence. To increase your chances of recovery, you need to eat 30 g of seeds daily. They must first be peeled off. If a man does not want to eat the product in its pure form, then he can add it to various dishes, for example, fresh salads.
- Pear compote.The most useful drink is prepared without added sugar.
- Baths with sea salt and herbs.Reception of the water procedure is recommended 3 times a week for 15 minutes. To saturate the water with useful substances, it is necessary to add sea salt and a decoction based on medicinal plants to it. When preparing it, it is customary to use chamomile, needles, calendula and sage. The herb needs to be brewed in boiling water, insist a little and strain. In this form, the broth is poured into the bath. Before going into the water, you need to make sure that its temperature is not too high. With prostatitis, it is forbidden to overheat the genitals.
- Parsley juice and seeds.A useful product can be used alone or added to various dishes. As part of parsley, it contains a lot of valuable substances, in which the body weakened due to prostatitis is in need.
- Suppositories with propolis.Another homemade folk remedy. To get healing candles, you need to mix cocoa butter with propolis. Small suppositories must be formed from this mass, which should be stored in the refrigerator. They are used in 1 piece. before bedtime. The candle must be inserted into the anus.
A man must understand that folk remedies are not able to completely cure him of inflammation in the prostate gland. Therefore, it is strictly forbidden to use them separately from drug treatment. Home remedies are best taken as an adjunct to the main course. They are also useful if the patient is interested in the prevention of exacerbation of chronic prostatitis.
Prostate massage is categorically contraindicated in case of an exacerbated form of the disease.
Medical therapy aimed at eliminating chronic prostatitis is complemented by prostate massage. This physiotherapy procedure improves drainage of secretions and microcirculation in the pelvis. Due to this, tissue regeneration is enhanced, which leads to a speedy recovery of the patient.
Prostate massage should be performed by a specialist who is trained in his technique. In some cases, the use of massagers is allowed. They can be used only after getting acquainted with the peculiarities of the procedure.
Prostate massage is prohibited for men who have hemorrhoids, cracks in the anus or an exacerbation of prostatitis.
In combination with medications, prostate massage gives good results.
Physiotherapy procedures are used as an auxiliary method of treatment. They increase the trophism of prostate tissues and trigger their regenerative properties. For this disease, doctors may recommend the following methods:
- laser therapy;
- ultrasonic phonophoresis;
- transrectal microwave hyperthermia.
In addition, the patient can use warm baths, enemas and mud wraps to enhance the treatment.
If drug therapy does not allow to cope with the chronic course of prostatitis, which is often exacerbated, then the doctor will insist on surgical intervention.
Surgeries for this disease are rare. They are prescribed as a last resort when other methods of treatment do not help a man. For chronic prostatitis, the following types of surgery are performed:
- Prostatectomy.This implies the complete removal of the inflamed prostate gland.
- Resection.It is used when it is necessary to remove only a part of the internal organ, which is most affected by the disease.
- Circumcisio.Circular cutoff of the foreskin, which allows you to cure the chronic form of prostatitis and prevent its further progression.
- Abscess drainage.During the procedure, all the purulent contents in the organ are released, which prevents it from getting rid of the inflammation.
The doctor himself decides which method of surgical therapy is more suitable for a particular patient.
It is recommended to eat a lot of fruits if you are sick.
Men with chronic prostatitis need to eat a diet. The selection of a special diet allows you to minimize the likelihood of recurrence of the inflammatory disease.
A man with prostatitis should refuse to consume even small amounts of drinks and foods that contain ethyl alcohol. Alcohol has a detrimental effect on the ducts of the prostate, which makes the symptoms of the disease worse.
The patient should limit himself to eating fatty foods, as they can lead to the formation of cholesterol plaques that complicate blood circulation. Spicy and salty dishes, offal and mushrooms are banned. Beans, soda, and baked goods should also be avoided.
When compiling a menu for a patient with chronic prostatitis, it is required to include foods fortified with zinc. It is abundant in pumpkin seeds and seafood. The basis of the diet must necessarily be fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as dairy products. The only exceptions are those that are able to increase gas production in the intestine.
Can chronic prostatitis be cured
Questions about whether chronic prostatitis can be completely treated worries every man who is faced with this diagnosis. The prognosis of recovery directly depends on the timeliness of therapy and its adequacy.
It is almost impossible to completely get rid of the disease. Patients can only achieve a stable remission, which will be observed for many years.
Patients should be interested in prevention of exacerbation of chronic prostatitis. To prevent it, it is necessary to follow the correct diet, timely treat inflammatory processes in the body, have a regular sex life and do not forget about sports.
It is very important to visit your urologist regularly for routine diagnostics of your current state of health. Regular examinations allow you to timely determine the pathology and start treating it.