Treatment of chronic prostatitis is a difficult problem even for modern medicine, often, despite all the measures taken, the chronic process cannot be completely eliminated. It is believed that reducing the intensity of signs is already an effective result. It is worth considering that the clinical picture of tumors (cancer) of the prostate has a similar picture with the latent course of chronic prostatitis. For differentiation, PSA is determined, the concentration of which is much higher in malignant neoplasms than in the classical inflammatory process.
Treatment of chronic prostatitis is a complex and lengthy procedure that does not always lead to a complete cure.
Classics of appointments
Is there an effective treatment for the chronic form of the disease, and can you get rid of it quickly? Such a question is almost always asked by patients to urologists at the reception, and if the first part can be answered in the affirmative, then it will not be possible to get rid of the problem "quickly". Treatment of prostatitis takes exactly as long as it has developed, namely: the rest of your life. Eliminate chronic prostatitis altogether and make the prostate gland "new" is impossible in principle. The only thing that can be done is to stop all unpleasant symptoms and delay the onset of relapses, but only on the condition that the man himself will strictly follow all the doctor's prescriptions.
A classic example: a course of drugs, rectal massage and some other methods are prescribed, the plus is the normalization of the lifestyle, refusal from alcohol. As a rule, medications are taken, but with the rejection of alcoholic beverages, proper nutrition, the situation is much worse. And many men take massage with hostility, considering it a shameful manipulation. As a result, the treatment prescribed by the doctor turns out to be ineffective due to non-compliance with all the conditions of therapy and the chronic process smoothly flows into impotence and other health problems.
It is important to remember that chronic prostatitis requires deeper attention than acute prostatitis. The course of therapy is multicomponent; for a specialist with many years of experience and with the development of modern medicine, the disease is not a problem.
In the exacerbation phase, the following methods are used:
- Antibiotic therapy.The choice of drug determines the culture result (sterility) or is based on the assumption of the cause of the disease. For severe fever and pain, drugs are given intravenously. Important: the entire course must be completed until the last day, even if the patient's condition has improved the very next day.
- Alpha blockers.Medications are needed to relieve symptoms by relaxing the bladder neck and muscle fibers where the prostate gland is adjacent to the bladder.
- NSAIDs and pain relievers- help to treat chronic prostatitis and have an anti-inflammatory effect.
- Rectal (direct) massage.The recommended course is 10-12 procedures, professionally performed it helps to relieve symptoms and speed up recovery.
These are the main methods that are always used; it is also recommended to additionally carry out physiotherapy using electrical stimulation, laser therapy, electrophoresis.
What will happen if you do not treat?
If the treatment of prostatitis is constantly ignored, then in severely neglected cases it will cause a lot of troubles that will ruin a man's life completely:
- Abscess of the prostate.
- Vesiculitis (inflammation in the seminal vesicles).
- Cysts, stones in the prostate.
- Sclerosis of the prostate.
- Impotence, infertility.
Each of these pathologies requires special attention, and the treatment period will be much longer than with chronic prostatitis. In addition to physical ailment, men develop psychoemotional instability, they become irritable, sullen, depressed.
The complete picture of therapy
Currently, the treatment regimen for prostatitis includes the following methods and methods:
- Effective treatment aimed at eliminating the infectious factor (drugs).
- The course of restoration of blood microcirculation in the small pelvis and prostate.
- Increasing the immune status of the body.
- Antispasmodic drugs.
- Pain relievers and anti-inflammatories.
- Fortifying drugs and vitamin therapy.
- Local pain relievers.
- Physiotherapy and hormone therapy.
- Massage and taking tranquilizers (sedatives).
- General methods (normalization of sleep, nutrition and rest).
- Spa treatment.
It should be emphasized that although the announced course of therapy is quite complete, on a purely individual basis, the doctor may recommend the patient to use additional methods, including the use of folk remedies (herbal medicine). In addition, men whose lifestyle is "rather slow" or associated with a long stay in an uncomfortable position that causes stagnation of blood in the pelvis and prostate (office workers, security guards, drivers), it is recommended to take a course of gymnastics to eliminate hypodynamia. This is an effective way to speed up the recovery from chronic prostatitis and prevent impotence.
Individually, the doctor can recommend the use of folk remedies - herbal medicine.
Treatment of chronic prostatitis is not complete without medication. The appointment should always be carried out by a doctor, the period of admission is strictly individual and should not be interrupted earlier than the end of the course of therapy. Consider the drugs used.
To restore blood circulation
To restore good blood circulation in the prostate gland, drugs are prescribed to restore blood circulation. Ignoring these funds will not allow completely and in the shortest possible time to eliminate the inflammatory process.
In the chronic form of the disease, a decrease in immunity is common, therefore one of the primary tasks when choosing a course of therapy is to increase the body's resistance to any disease. The drugs are prescribed according to the immunogram: interferons, thymus preparations, synthetic immunomodulators.
These include drugs of several groups:
- 3rd generation cephalosporins.
It should be remembered that antibiotic treatment for chronic prostatitis is long, the course of administration is 4-8 weeks.
Prescribed to normalize the work of smooth muscles in the urinary tract. The course of treatment is 4-8 weeks.
Any hormonal drug is prescribed only by a doctor on strict necessity, the funds help to reduce the intensity of the inflammatory process in the gland.
Provides relaxation of striated muscles, relieve pain and discomfort.
They are used only as an additional treatment, but in no case instead of it. Phytopreparations help to remove edema from the gland, reduce pain syndrome, and give less stress on human organs.
As an addition to long-term drug therapy, some methods are prescribed to alleviate the patient's condition and prevent the exacerbation of the disease from returning.
Physiotherapy methods are direct massage, microclysters with medicinal solutions, sit baths, low-intensity laser radiation, electrical stimulation, magnetotherapy, acupuncture.
In particular, massage, so unloved by men because of banal modesty, is indicated for the treatment of chronic prostatitis in almost all cases. Massage allows you to cleanse the ducts of the prostate, relieve congestion and inflammation and normalize the functioning of the sex gland. Massage is carried out at home or in a medical institution 2-3 times a week.
Indications for the use of surgical methods are acute conditions that pose a threat to the life of a man.
Indications for surgical methods
With the complete ineffectiveness of the conservative treatment carried out, surgical intervention, however, is not carried out in all cases. Indications for the use of surgical methods are acute conditions that are a direct threat to a man's life:
- Urethral obstruction.With a strong narrowing of the urethra and the cessation of urine flow, an urgent operation is indicated. Often phimosis is added to the obstruction, then circumcision of the foreskin is also performed.
- Drainage for abscess formation of the prostate.A large accumulation of pus in the gland poses a direct threat to the patient's life (sepsis), so the surgeon's task is to quickly extract and drain it.
- Restoration of seminal vesicles.It is necessary when they are severely damaged as a result of inflammation. The operation is performed to improve the function of removing the secretion of the prostate gland.
- Complete or partial removal.It is necessary for severe tissue hardening.
Very often, men suffering from chronic prostatitis make the same mistake: they use one method or drug as a treatment, despite the fact that complex therapy is prescribed. There are a lot of arguments, but as a result, the disease remains untreated and manifests itself once with renewed vigor. Therefore, it is important to remember: none of the treatment methods prescribed by the doctor should be ignored, then the pathology will recede and the man will be able to live a full life.